Combination omega-6 and omega-3 fatty acids for the maintenance of good health
• Provides 860 mg of LA and 340 mg of GLA per daily dose
• Includes 260 mg of ALA per daily dose
Black currant oil is a natural source of omega-6 and omega-3 fatty acids that help to maintain optimal health. The structure and function of skin, the largest organ in the body, is dependent on fatty acids.1 LA accounts for approximately 12% of fatty acids in the skin.1 It is essential to maintain the epidermal barrier integrity, which protects against environmental factors and the loss of electrolytes and water.1 Decreased levels of essential fatty acids (EFAs) have been associated with impaired epithelial cell function, including the loss of moisture in the eyes and skin.1,2 EFAs may prevent moisture loss in the eye by increasing the lipid layer of the tear film.3 Omega-6 supplementation may mediate the activity of collagen producing cells in the skin.1,3 Supplementation with 2 g of blackcurrant seed oil for three months significantly improved the moisture content of forearm and cheek skin in 40 healthy adults.4
1. Nicolaou, A. 2013; 88: 131–138.
2. Aragona, P, Bucolo, C, Spinella, R, Giuffrida, S, Ferreri, G. IOVS. 2005; 46(12): 4474-4479.
3. Roncone, M, Bartlett, H, Eperjesi, F. Contact Lens & Anterior Eye. 2010; 33: 49–54.
4. Larmo, P, Ulvinen, T, Määttä, P, Judin, VP. Innovations in Food Technology. 2011; 11: 68-69.