- Helps support vaginal health and promote a favourable vaginal microbiome
- Vaginal suppositories allow direct vaginal application of probiotics for quick, effective results
- Helps restore a healthy microflora following antibiotic treatment of recurrent vulvovaginal candidiasis (RVVC)
- No refrigeration necessary
ONLY AVAILABLE TO CANADIAN CUSTOMERS!
HMF Vaginal Health probiotic contains Lactobacillus plantarum KABP™-061, a patented human strain with unique properties for restoring the vaginal flora and a high capacity for adherence to the vaginal mucosa. In healthy women, Lactobacilli are the predominant bacteria in the vaginal ecosystem and exert a significant influence in maintaining a balanced microbiota of the vagina by inhibiting the overgrowth of undesirable bacterial species.1-3 By producing lactic acid, Lactobacilli stabilize the vagina's physiological pH and help the body's natural defence mechanisms to ward off fungal overgrowth that can lead to vaginal infections.4 Moreover, by colonising the vaginal cavity, they form a protective film that inhibits the growth of other unwanted microorganisms.5 Lactobacillus plantarum KABP™-061 was specifically selected for its high ability to acidify the vaginal environment, for demonstrating inhibition of common UTI pathogens (including E. coli, S. saprophyticus and P. mirabilis) and its antibacterial properties against Candida albicans and Candida glabrata.6,7 An open-label, prospective and comparative study found the use of the probiotic Lactobacillus plantarum KABP™-061, after antifungal treatment for vulvovaginal candidiasis (VVC), significantly reduced all vaginal symptoms assessed (i.e. leucorrhoea, erythema, edema, stinging, itching, pain and bad odour) after 14 days.6,7 Promoting a healthy vaginal flora reduces the likelihood of fungal overgrowth, which in turn reduces the chances of infections. This was seen in the same study, which reported Lactobacillus plantarum KABP™-061 as useful in reducing the number of cases of recurrence by 60% in women with recurrent vulvovaginal candidiasis (RVVC).6,7 HMF Vaginal Health may be used to help maintain a healthy vaginal microflora, and to help restore a healthy microflora following antibiotic treatment of recurrent vulvovaginal candidiasis (RVVC). HMF Vaginal Health may also be used in any situation where vaginal microflora is altered.
1. 1. Ma, B, Forney, LJ, Ravel, J. (2012) The vaginal microbiome: rethinking health and diseases. Annual review of microbiology. 66: 371-389.
2. Murina, F, Graziottin, A, Felice, R et al. (2011) The recurrent vulvovaginal candidiasis: proposal of a personalized therapeutic protocol. ISRN Obstet Gynecol 2001:806065
3. Sobel, JD. (2016) Recurrent vulvovaginal candidiasis. Am J Obstet Gynecol 214: 15-21.
4. Ma, B, Forney, LJ, Ravel, J. (2012) The vaginal microbiome: rethinking health and diseases. Annual review of microbiology. 66: 371-389.
5. Boris S, Sua´rez JE, Va´zquez F, Barbe´s C (1998) Adherence of human vaginal lactobacilli to vaginal epithelial cells and interaction with uropathogens. Infect Immun 66:1985–1989.
6. Palacois, S, Espadaler, J, Fernandez-Moya, JM, et al. (2016) Is it possible to prevent recurrent vulvovaginitis? The role of Lactobacillus plantarum I1001 (CECT7504). Eur J Clin Microbiol Infect Dis. 35(10): 1701-1708.
7. Palacios S, Salas N, Fernandez-Moya J, Bajona M, Prieto C. Lactobacillus plantarum I1001 in prevention of recurrent vulvovaginal candidiasis. In: 33 Congreso Nacional Sociedad Española de Ginecología y Obstetricia (SEGO). 2015.